jcwords

Howdy! Welcome to my page radical people

Blog Post #2

My idea of digital identity is when computer systems take information about a person from what they post or share or search etc and generate a profile off of that. These digital identities help for security and gaining information. Personally I feel like I present myself on social media platforms in a respectful manner. I use instagram, tiktok, snapchat, and facebook. On all of these platforms I am cautious with what I post, share, repost, and who I allow to follow me. The type of content I share is mainly based on things I am doing in life, I like to think of it as a little memory scrapbook. I only use facebook for marketplace where I buy and sell products which I think is an efficient way of shopping but also I have to be cautious about scammers and who you are sharing certain information with. I manage my privacy by having my accounts private. My accounts are private so I can manage who I allow to follow me and see my post especially since it is about my life and what I am doing. 

Steps I take to maintain a professional image online is I only share content I am comfortable sharing and that is appropriate. I also may pay close attention to what I am liking on social media and accounts I follow so it does not give off the wrong idea to the wrong person and someone tries to read into it. My cousin was once caught with not having a professional image online and did not get into a certain school on a swimming scholarship for this reason. Personal versus professional approaches to digital identity affect social media use by how people share their content. If you are using social media for personal use you’re usually sharing more things about your life, looking for casual interactions, and you could have more focus on your privacy settings. Whereas someone using social media for a professional approach the content they share is more public and direct to a certain audience, they’re trying to network with other people and accounts, and they are sharing more professional content about a subject. Many people use social media for different reasons and could have both a personal and a professional account that they use daily reaching different audiences. 

Some challenges with maintaining a personal and professional identity is always being away with who you’re interacting with and who is interacting with you. While on social media you always have to have your guard up to make sure that the things you are doing are responsible and won’t diminish you in anyways. Benefits with maintaining both digital identities allows someone to interact and connect with different groups and have more collaboration through platforms. To ensure they complement rather than conflict with one another is to make sure through all socials the idea of the same message is being presented and shared with others. Looking ahead, the way I plan to manage my digital identity as social media continues to evolve is to always be aware of who I am interacting with and who I am allowing to interact with my account. I will always keep in check of my privacy settings and stay up to date about the ways different social media apps are changing their privacy policies and making sure they are fitting within my guidelines. Steps I will take to adapt to new platforms and trends while maintaining a consistent positive digital presence is to make sure the things I am posting are consistent and do not conflict with one another. 

1. francescamanson 18 July 2024

Hi Jorja!

I really liked the layout of your blog, it was super well-organized and easy to read. Possibly you could try adding some headers to break up your post a bit. (This was some feedback Josh mentioned)

I also use the platforms you mentioned along with continuing to use them respectfully and choosing who I allow to follow me. I think being respectful online is a critical element to one’s social identity, and could affect their future career. I love how you described using social media as a memory scrapbook, that is a great way to put it!

I like the point you mentioned about what you like on social media as I think that is an element of our social identity that is often forgotten. To build on your point on using social media professionally I think that it could be valuable to focus on themes and ideas that are relevant to your field. For example, only following colleagues or public figures that could be relevant to your profession. While also regularly checking in with your professional account and making sure that the content still matches your professional image. Keeping your professional account positive and true to yourself, so that there are no misunderstandings.
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, great work!
    -Fran 🙂

2. abbyashfield 20 July 2024

Hey Jorja! Your blog site looks fantastic! It is clear and filled with so many pictures! I was wondering did you take all those pictures yourself? As of your actual blog post, I liked how you compared your social media to a memory scrapbook. This really resonated with me, as this is one of the main reasons I post on social media. I love looking back at all my memories. I also find that posting my favourite memories captivates best who I am and the image I want to be creating for myself online! Of course, however, these memories must be appropriate for all audiences to maintain that professional image. I found your post to be clear, although adding headers may help make it even clearer. Additionally, although you have many pictures within your site, maybe adding more to the posts themselves might help break up all the wording! Just some suggestions!

Thanks for sharing

Abby

• isabelperrella 23 July 2024

Hello Jorja!

I really enjoy the color scheme of your blog as it flows very nicely as both of your images have hints of greens and are both of nature. The layout of your blog was really well written and easy for me to understand your perspective on the questions we were assigned. A suggestion I might suggest is to bring in more visual components into your blog to help break up the reading portions like videos. or photos!

After reading through your perspective on having a professional and personal account, I would agree with your statements and steps as I also like to be cautious of what I like or who I follow as the digital world has the access to showcase those into our professional digital identities. Additionally, I also knew someone as well that had to be conscious about their media presence online as they were going to have a scholarship into university through volleyball. Overall, I really like your blog post and I’m excited to read your next one and learn what your thoughts are on digital PLN’s!

Izze

3. jyotib 24 July 2024

Hi Jorja, thank you for sharing your perspective on social media platforms.

I also use social media platforms such as Facebook in a similar manner as you. I agree that it is very important to be cautious on marketplace due to scammers. When selling, I review the buyers profile in terms of content, account creation date, and ratings, to determine if I’m comfortable sharing my address for pickup. I recently have been conducting the same process when purchasing due to scammers and have found the biggest concern to be when they request a deposit or payment prior to arrival. Do you share a similar privacy process?

In relation to your example of your cousin, I’m curious about your thoughts on having coworkers as followers on your personal social media platforms. Do you feel that this affects your professional privacy?

Thank you,
    Jyoti

4. shuyao 7 August 2024

Hi Jorja!When I entered your homepage, I was shocked. Your website is well decorated and clear,it looks fantastic. And each blog has a cover picture which is worth learning. Your explanation of digital identity in blog 2 is also easy to understand. Regarding the transaction you mentioned on Facebook, I personally think that Facebook is not very safe compared to Amazon. Although Facebook is very convenient and fast, it has many security risks. If you are defrauded, the platform has no responsibility to help you get your money back.The third -party platform transactions are safer for both buyers and seller like amazon.Cause you money won’t be able to transfer to others directly.And I totally agree with the privacy settings you mentioned in your blog. The people you follow and the content you like may be regarded as professional evaluations by others.Even if you regard this as personal identify apps,you may care about the audience you faced everyday.