jcwords

Howdy! Welcome to my page radical people

Blog Post #1 339

Hello,

My name is Jorja and I am going into my second year at University of Victoria and I am planning to study Geography. I’m not exactly sure what I want to do with a geography degree just yet but I am hoping to figure it out along the way. 

I use digital tools to support my learning and professional life in the context of education in many different ways. Through my learning I have been taking many online courses over the years to further my education. I have also used online note taking systems like Goodnotes that allow me to use my ipad and take fun and creative notes and make them suit my learning. For my professional life I use digital tools like word and excel to create lesson plans and schedules for tournaments and events. My understanding of digital literacy and its importance in open and distributed learning settings is its influence in access to information and certain resources. It can also enhance learning experiences and allow for more opportunities to learn. Just like this class I am able to learn with others through an online course for Uvic in BC while being in Ontario. There are more opportunities for collaboration and communication between peers. There are many components of digital literacy that influence open and distributed learning settings which makes it adaptable for everyone.

Experiences I have with learning in an open and distributed context would definitely be the peak of covid-19 where everything was online. During this time technology influenced our whole lives and what we did. School became online so everyone had to attend zoom classes, complete school work remotely, talk to friends through the internet, relationships in every aspect mainly became only online. Even after covid i still continue to learn some courses online. I attend school face-to-face still using technology then in the summer I take asynchronous courses that I can do within my own schedule. Ways I will engage and contribute to this learning approach through this course is I will actively participate. Whether that be by reaching out to my prof, talking to my peers, completing the work for the designated week, etc. I will also be creating and sharing content through this blog page for others to see and engage in.